THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2009


CARBON FOOTPRINTS


It's my intention to complete a mini-project as part of my blog which will:-

1. Establish the carbon footprint of our current lifestyle; and
2. Review all kinds of methods that I can use to reduce our carbon footprint.

To track posts directly relating to this project only, hit the label "Carbon Footprint"....

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Work is now underway...


25.16 tonnes of carbon/year

So how do we get this down and,
what figure would be a reasonable figure to aim for?

I would love to say "zero" as being the target for our emmissions but unless we consider becoming totally self-sufficient like these 2 characters, then it's just not realistic. And even they couldn't do it - they were still tied to the National Grid and used petrol driven farm equipment to boot!

I'm going to leave the final figure to aim for at present and look at the question of how to improve on our current situation. The breakdown of our figure is as follows:-

Waste - 3.3 tonnes
Travel - 11.76 tonnes
Energy Use - 6.95 tonnes
Food - 3.15 tonnes

I will look at these items individually in the next few posts...

2 comments:

  1. This is an admirable question, but I guess with all the media over here, it just feels like another way of suppressing the masses.
    Moving to North Devon and consuming locally feels very right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howard, sorry for taking so long to respond. I'd be interested to know what the media are saying over there... over here nobody seems to give a shit!
    I don't know about suppressing the masses, I'm struggling to find many with a pulse as far as this topic is concerned. Personally, I believe that establishing a benchmark, even if it is just for the Beattie Family, is a good starting point.
    What is most dissapointing is that there seems to be a knee jerk reaction in society that whatever you do to contribute to improving the environment will be detrimental to your lifestyle. What people need to understand is that it can be beneficial. It sounds like this is a point you probably appreciate! Would love to visit North Devon if Ains and I ever make it back to the UK...

    ReplyDelete